gnupic: Newbie help

Subject: Newbie help
From: Charlie ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2001 16:05:17 -0000

Hi,
 I'm a complete newbie to all this PIC stuff. I would like to buy a decent PIC
programmer. I can get PICSTART PLUS for £100 (~$160, I think). I have also seen
something called EPIC, which does not seem to program all of microchip's stuff.
I wouldn't want to have to buy another programmer, as I don't have much cash.
Anyway, PICSTART PLUS seems to have lots of useful software, which should last
me until linux does absolutely everything to do with pics (gpsim seems a bit
strange to use. I think I'll wait to a higher version number...). Anyway, could
someone please tell me if I would be making a terrible mistake wasting my
(precious) money on this picstart plus thing?

Also, could anyone recommend a good book for *****beginners***** (ok, too many
stars. sorry). I've seen some on amazon.com (.co.uk actually). I saw one called
PIC: "Your personal introductory course" or something like that. Is it any
good?

One other thing: I'd like to play around creating some security applications
with LCDs and keypads and maybe those Dallas semiconductor things. Is there any
particularly good hardware - pic, lcd, keypad, prototype board - which would be
good for this sort of thing? Thanks.

Feel free to shout at me if some other idiot has asked the same stupid
questions before.

Thanks for your help in advance. If I ever get all the stuff I need, I'll
attempt to contribute something vaguely relevant and even interesting to this
list.

Charlie Dyson - ####@####.####