gnupic: Newbie help

Subject: Re: Newbie help
From: Andy ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2001 16:58:44 -0000

Inline
On Saturday 24 November 2001 16:05 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm a complete newbie to all this PIC stuff. I would like to buy a decent
> PIC programmer. I can get PICSTART PLUS for £100 (~$160, I think). I have
> also seen something called EPIC, which does not seem to program all of
> microchip's stuff. I wouldn't want to have to buy another programmer, as I
> don't have much cash. Anyway, PICSTART PLUS seems to have lots of useful
> software, which should last me until linux does absolutely everything to do
> with pics (gpsim seems a bit strange to use. I think I'll wait to a higher
> version number...). Anyway, could someone please tell me if I would be
> making a terrible mistake wasting my (precious) money on this picstart plus
> thing?

I use the WARP-13 programmer from http://www.new-elect.com which for some
reason is giving me a DNS error right at this moment.  Anyway this is an
Australian internet based company and the programmer costs about £50 (depends
on exchange rate) and mine arrived within 6 days of ordering it.  It runs
under both Windows and Linux and MPLAB thinks that it is actually talking to
a PICSTART PLUS.  In addition to PICS it will also do the Atmel AVR MCUs.
IMHO it's well woth a look

> Also, could anyone recommend a good book for *****beginners***** (ok, too
> many stars. sorry). I've seen some on amazon.com (.co.uk actually). I saw
> one called PIC: "Your personal introductory course" or something like that.
> Is it any good?

On the subject of books and tutorials the Internet is obviously a good place
to start looking.  Everyday Practical Electronics did a three part tutorial a
couple of years ago.  It was top notch and they even produced a
programmer/tutorial board to boot.

Regards

Andy