gnupic: Confirmation 'ebs_cc' runs under Red Hat 7.1

Subject: Confirmation 'ebs_cc' runs under Red Hat 7.1
From: tma ####@####.####
Date: 23 Dec 2001 03:57:39 -0000

Greetings:

           Thanks to those for replying to my question about running the
'ebs_cc' compiler under RH 7r1. With the confidence that it should run
OK I decided to give it a try and now I am pleased to say I have it running.

            Although I have been around personal computers since the late
70s and have been programming PICs since the early days of the 16C84
derivative I am quite new to Linux. I decided to documented and post the
installation steps I followed in order to obtain feedback from those
with more knowledge of the subject. Other Linux newbees interested in
moving their PIC development platform over to Red Hat may also benefit
from the information.

The procedure I followed for the installation was as follows:

1)  Starting in the '/opt' directory with the KDE File Manager I
sequentially created the subdirectory branch titled '/opt/pic/c/ebs/bin'
to provide unique locations for the 'ebs_cc' files.

2) I moved the ebs_cc.tar.gz download file into the 'ebs' subdirectory.

Note: The following commands (given in steps 3-6 below) were ran within
a 'bash' shell terminal session from the 'ebs' directory prompt.

3) I ran 'gunzip ebs_cc.tar.gz' which created the 'ebs_cc.tar' file
without any error reports.

4) I ran 'tar -xvf ebs_cc.tar' which extracted the 'ebs_cc' files and
placed them in the 'ebs' subdirectory.

5) I ran 'make' which produced the following 'gcc' compiler report:

gcc -Daux -g -o mypicc main.o codepic.o expr.o function.o sym.o stmt.o
while.o gen.o error.o io.o lex.o primary.o preproc.o data.o

6) I ran 'dir' which provided the following files list:

16c84.h        ebs_cc.tar        gen.c  	main.c
preproc.o      sym.o             16f870.h       ee_read.c
gen.o          main.o            mary.c         test0.c
16f87x.h       ee_write.c        getchar.c      Makefile
primary.o      test.c            codepic.c      error.c
glibpic.h      Readme            while.c        codepic.o
error.o        io.c              mlibpic.h      rtest.c
while.o        data.c            expr.c         io.o
mypicc         slibpic.h         data.h         expr.o
lcd_lib.c      P16FXXX.inc       stdio.h        data.o
lex.c          pic_io.c          stmt.c         defs.h
function.c     lex.o             pic_temp.c     stmt.o
function.o     libpic.h          preproc.c      sym.c

7) I moved the 'mypicc' executable file to the previously created
'/opt/pic/c/ebs/bin' subdirectory.

Note: The following commands (given in steps 7-11 below) were ran within
a 'bash' shell terminal session from the 'bin' directory prompt.

8)  I ran 'file mypicc' from the 'bin' directory prompt and got the
following report:

mypicc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

9) I then tried to run 'mypicc' from the 'bin' subdirectory and got the
following bash unknown path report:

bash: mypicc: command not found

10) I tried the  command './mypicc' and found it provided a ~work
around~ for the path problem as I got the following 'ebs_cc' report:

usage: mypicc [-R] [-DSYM[=VALUE]] files
usage: -t : set debug trace
usage: -c : generate asm code

11) To solve the undefined path problem I used the 'pico' text editor to
create a '.bash_profile' (don't forget the '.' filename prefix!) file
within the 'bin' directory with the following path statement line:

PATH=$PATH/opt/pic/c/ebs/bin

This appeared to solve the unknown path problem as the command 'mypicc'
without the './' prefix subsequently ran OK.

	My confidence is low about step 11 as I went back and found I could run
'mypicc' without the './' prefix with the '.bash_profile' file deleted.
The following questions come to mind:

	a) I wonder if 'opt/pic/c/ebs/bin' should be appended to the  PATH
statement within the .bash_profile file in the user's HOME directory?

	b) Is it OK to create a .bash_profile file with a new PATH statement in
the 'bin' containing the 'mypicc' executable file?

	c) I wonder why the './' prefix was needed although I was already at the
'bin' prompt where 'mypicc' is located? This seems to differ from DOS
where one can execute a file without the need to specify the path when
launching from the subdirectory containing the file to be executed.

	d) Does the use of the /opt directory for my PIC software comply with the
Linux directory structure plan?

	Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards & Seasons Greetings,
Tom Alldread