gnupic: Confirmation 'ebs_cc' runs under Red Hat 7.1

Subject: Re: Confirmation 'ebs_cc' runs under Red Hat 7.1
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 23 Dec 2001 05:26:19 -0000

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, tma wrote:

> Greetings:
>
>            Thanks to those for replying to my question about running the
> 'ebs_cc' compiler under RH 7r1. With the confidence that it should run
> OK I decided to give it a try and now I am pleased to say I have it running.

<snip>

Tom,

This example is instructive to new users,.  Let me add a coupld of
comments that may help out.

> The procedure I followed for the installation was as follows:
>
> 1)  Starting in the '/opt' directory with the KDE File Manager I
> sequentially created the subdirectory branch titled '/opt/pic/c/ebs/bin'
> to provide unique locations for the 'ebs_cc' files.

In general, you should place tar balls such as these in a directory off of
your home directory. I put of my PIC stuff in ~/gnupic/. (The ~ is a short
cut way of expressing the path to your home directory.)

> 2) I moved the ebs_cc.tar.gz download file into the 'ebs' subdirectory.
>
> Note: The following commands (given in steps 3-6 below) were ran within
> a 'bash' shell terminal session from the 'ebs' directory prompt.
>
> 3) I ran 'gunzip ebs_cc.tar.gz' which created the 'ebs_cc.tar' file
> without any error reports.
>

> 4) I ran 'tar -xvf ebs_cc.tar' which extracted the 'ebs_cc' files and
> placed them in the 'ebs' subdirectory.

In the future, you can gunzip and tar in one step:

tar -xvzf ebs_cc.tar.gz

Note that the 'v' means verbose and will list the files as they're
extracted.

> 5) I ran 'make' which produced the following 'gcc' compiler report:
>
> gcc -Daux -g -o mypicc main.o codepic.o expr.o function.o sym.o stmt.o
> while.o gen.o error.o io.o lex.o primary.o preproc.o data.o
>
> 6) I ran 'dir' which provided the following files list:
>
> 16c84.h        ebs_cc.tar        gen.c  	main.c
> preproc.o      sym.o             16f870.h       ee_read.c
> gen.o          main.o            mary.c         test0.c
> 16f87x.h       ee_write.c        getchar.c      Makefile
> primary.o      test.c            codepic.c      error.c
> glibpic.h      Readme            while.c        codepic.o
> error.o        io.c              mlibpic.h      rtest.c
> while.o        data.c            expr.c         io.o
> mypicc         slibpic.h         data.h         expr.o
> lcd_lib.c      P16FXXX.inc       stdio.h        data.o
> lex.c          pic_io.c          stmt.c         defs.h
> function.c     lex.o             pic_temp.c     stmt.o
> function.o     libpic.h          preproc.c      sym.c
>
> 7) I moved the 'mypicc' executable file to the previously created
> '/opt/pic/c/ebs/bin' subdirectory.
>
> Note: The following commands (given in steps 7-11 below) were ran within
> a 'bash' shell terminal session from the 'bin' directory prompt.
>
> 8)  I ran 'file mypicc' from the 'bin' directory prompt and got the
> following report:
>
> mypicc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>

> 9) I then tried to run 'mypicc' from the 'bin' subdirectory and got the
> following bash unknown path report:
>
> bash: mypicc: command not found

Rather than polluting my path variable, I typically will place a symbolic
link in ~/bin/ (which should be in your path). For example, in gpsim
development I often test the program before installing it. The executable
after the make is located in ~/gnupic/gpsim/gpsim/ and is called gpsim. So
I do this:

cd ~/bin
ln -s /home/scott/gnupic/gpsim/gpsim/gpsim g

The 'ln' means link, and the -s means symbolic. Now I can type 'g' and run
the newly built copy of gpsim.
<snip>

> 	My confidence is low about step 11 as I went back and found I could run
> 'mypicc' without the './' prefix with the '.bash_profile' file deleted.
> The following questions come to mind:
>
> 	a) I wonder if 'opt/pic/c/ebs/bin' should be appended to the  PATH
> statement within the .bash_profile file in the user's HOME directory?

I wouldn't do it.

> 	b) Is it OK to create a .bash_profile file with a new PATH statement in
> the 'bin' containing the 'mypicc' executable file?

Sure.

> 	c) I wonder why the './' prefix was needed although I was already at the
> 'bin' prompt where 'mypicc' is located? This seems to differ from DOS
> where one can execute a file without the need to specify the path when
> launching from the subdirectory containing the file to be executed.

Chances are the path was not what you expected.

> 	d) Does the use of the /opt directory for my PIC software comply with the
> Linux directory structure plan?

Right now, the RPMs get installed in /usr/share while the tarballs get
installed in user /usr/local (by default).

Thanks for taking the time to go through all of this Tom.

BTW, If you got ebs_cc working and you're really happy, and you really
want to stay in the holiday spirit, then don't look at the code it
generates. I promise it will make you spew turkey all over your keyboard!

Scott