gnupic: Pain with GPSIM

Subject: Re: Pain with GPSIM
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 26 Dec 2001 17:05:13 -0000

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Mohamed Eldesoky wrote:

> Hi all
> I tried for two weeks to install and run gpsim.
> ummmm
> I faced many problems.
> I had to install gdk devel ,xlib ,gtk devel,xlib ...and may be other things too,don't remember.
> And at last I managed to install gpsim, at least it didn't through any error messages to me.!!!
> I tried to run it by typing gpsim
> But I found that it is a command line program that asks me to enter parameters and options to run it
> Actually I thought gpsim is a GUI ,may be I that is true,but I was tired to try to give a program to it.
> However,I wanted to share others with my opinions.
> Don't you think it is a bad thing with Linux nowadays that there are many development platforms,that you have to install all their libraries before you can compile and run programs !!!
> Why those things are not static in the programs !!!
> Really it makes alot of pain to search for all the missing libraries and install them.
>
> BUT NOWWWWW
> hey
> I have installed gpsim.
> I expect to have a funny time with it ,or do I ???

As Principal Instigator, I feel obligated to respond.

First my apologies for your difficulties. My primary objective with gpsim
(and SDCC) is to design an efficient and powerful tool that's hopefully
easy for others besides myself to use. Anything outside that scope
distracts from the little time I have for the primary goal. I try to help
new users such as you whenever possible. I'm surprised how many people are
using gpsim as a platform for jumping into Linux! Unfortunately, weighing
in at about 50 thousand lines of code, gpsim is hardly a beginner's
package. And quite frankly, it's far beyond gpsim's scope to explain
things like why xlib is required before gpsim will compile.

If you have specific questions please send them to this list or me. Those
questions will get answered. If you have suggestions, they might be
implemented. If you submit a patch, it probably will be accepted. If you
want to vent frustrations, cat them to /dev/null or post to the PICLIST.

Regards,
Scott