gnupic: gpsim new "log" command

Subject: gpsim new "log" command
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 27 Dec 2001 01:59:03 -0000

This is only in CVS. One more big change will be made prior to the next
release.

John Sutton submitted a patch to gpsim that added file logging of register
writes. He also supplied scripts to convert the gpsim log files to gwave
formatted files so that can be viewed with gwave.

 I applied the patch, but made a few modifications. From the commit log:

 - new command "log" has nearly the same syntax as break.
    - added new files cmd_log.cc and cmd_log.h
  - prettied break on register read/write dumps
  - applied Patch from Craig Franklin for RPM template
  - applied some of the patch from John Sutton ####@####.####
with regards to trace logging. (John's patch does register logging
    too, but it severly impacts simulation performance).

The log command is syntactically similar to the break command. Currently,
register reads, writes and read/write values are supported. Some sample
usage:

gpsim> log on temp.log
gpsim> log w temp1
gpsim> log wv temp2 0xa0 0xf0

This will log all writes to the register called temp1 and all writes to
the upper nibble of temp2 that equal 'a' (i.e. this bit pattern 1010XXXX)
after running the simulation, you can disable logging by typing:

gpsim> log off

The gui will reflect the registers being logged by highlighting them with
red in the register viewer. Currently it's not possible to initiate
register logging from the gui. But if I have to guess, I'd say Ralf can
whip that out in a few weeks.

Scott