gnupic: Re: CUMP and programmers for Linux

Subject: Re: CUMP and programmers for Linux
From: ####@####.#### (Rogier Wolff)
Date: 1 Jan 2002 22:05:33 -0000

James Newton's Massmind wrote:
> P.D. If anyone knows of a device requiring more than a supply
> voltage and a programming voltage to program it, please, let me
> know.

The problem that I see with such a "universal programmer" is that you
need good "powerful" drivers for signals like the "5V" and "GND" for
the "device under consideration". Those are "expensive".

For special signals, you need to be able to quickly change them. To do
some programming.

Any reasonable microprocessor can do the "change some signal quickly",
but the ways of changing them would depend on the device to be
programmed. And that would require you to program the controller anew
with the algorithms for the current device. Having a universal device
is so nice if you don't have to reprogram it. It's tricky to make it
general enough that you can just send it something like "this is a
PIC, it's PCLK signal is pin 14, and it's PDATA is pin 15, and here is
the program data......"

				Roger.

--
** ####@####.#### ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.