gnupic: Suggested improvements to gpsim

Subject: Re: Suggested improvements to gpsim
From: Ralf Forsberg ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2002 23:02:48 -0000

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 05:34:58PM +0000, Andy wrote:

> I have some suggestions for improvement that I would like to see in gpsim
> (apologies if it is there and I haven't found it yet). ?No doubt I will have
> others as I get to know the application more.
>
> What I would like to see for the watch window is the ability to drag and drop
> constants from the symbol viewer into the watch window.

I think that if we want dnd in gpsim, it should be appliable throughout
the gui, othervise its confusing. The gpsim-way is (currently) right click
popups. I could probably add a menu item "add to watches".

> ?Failing that simply
> allowing the user to rename the 'NAME' from the RAM location to whatever
> symbolic name it has been given would be a major improvement.

Is this related to below?

> In the register viewer, when clicking on a memory location it would be useful
> to see its symbol name. ?It does this for the likes of PCL and all the other
> predefined registers, why not for the user defined RAM locations since they
> are all parsed in the LST fand/or COD files?

If you define your variables using cblock, then (IIRC) gpasm will give
it a 'register' type. gpsim will then use this name in the register window
as well as in the watch window. The variable will then also show up as
register (instead of constant) in the symbol window.

Or did you have something else in mind?

I don't know if there is a way for gpasm or gpsim to make this work with
equ'ed variables. I remember discussing this somewhat with Scott once.
It would be nice if gpsim kept track of bit names for registers too...
One could then create more detailed displays of data. E.g. the status
register could be displayed as "--1tpZdc" (or something).
This could be made to work for user-defined variables too, I think.
If you see "bsf x,y", you can guess that x is a variable and y is a bit
in that variable, no? It's a lot of work to get to this point, though.
I don't know if it's worth it.

>?I would also
> like to see an optional ASCII column to complement the 'dec' 'hex' and
> 'binary' options.

That's easy to do. I'll add that one of these days.

Thanks for your thought.

 / Ralf