gnupic: gpasm news

Subject: Re: gpasm news
From: ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jan 2002 20:28:08 -0000

Hi,

And now, for my first post in about 4 years...

ASM mode is part of the standard Emacs and XEmacs distributions. It was
written by Eric Raymond, by the way. It does syntax highlighting for any
assembler language, not just PIC. ASM mode will be turned on automatically
by opening a file that has the suffix *.s. It can be configured to
recognise the suffixes *.asm and *.inc, too. It does more than
highlighting. It does indentation automatically and when you press ; it tab
stops to the appropriate column depending on whether there is an
instruction already typed on the line. You can assemble from within the
(X)Emacs with output going to a window - click on an error and the cursor
will take you to the line with the error.

<Climbs to soapbox, hand to heart> (X)Emacs is more like an IDE than an
editor except that, unlike a regular IDE, it has modes for just about every
language you will ever hear of. I recommend it to anyone, personally I
choose XEmacs over Emacs, it has a slicker GUI interface.

Thank you to Scott, Ralf and Craig and everyone else who has worked on
gpasm and gpsim. The effort has been enormous and the results are
excellent.

Mal Goris
CSC Australia
Ph: 02 9901 1324    Fax: 02 9901 1555    Email: ####@####.####

Scott Dattalo ####@####.#### on 15/01/2002 18:08:33

cc:   ####@####.#### ####@####.####

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Craig Franklin wrote:

> Frederic wrote:
> >

> > I made GPASM recognition patterns for syntax highlightning under NEdit.
Do
> > you think it could be included in gputils-extra package ?
> >

> Send it to me and I will let you know what I think.

I just remembered that James Cameron wrote a PIC syntax highlight for
emacs:

http://quozl.netrek.org/tad/99-11707/asm-mode.el

Scott