nanogui: Setting the palette in nano-X

Subject: RE: Setting the palette in nano-X
From: George Harvey ####@####.####
Date: 13 Mar 2000 22:45:55 -0000

On 13-Mar-00, Rob Taylor wrote:

>> I'm having a go at porting the X version of the VNC viewer to nano-X. I've
>> created a 'glue' layer to try and map the X calls to Gr calls and
>> I'm starting
>> to see some results.

>are you writing the glue layer in a general manner? if so, this would
>probably be a cool thing to add to the distribution (mmm win32 and X
>compatible APIs.. how cool would that be?)

I started off with the idea of a header file with some dummy X structures and
#defines which could be used with a glue library to map the X calls to nano-X.
The more I work on it, however, the more I realise that this is not going to
be
possible. Xlib has far more functions than nano-X and the associated data
structures are a lot more complex. VNC is a fairly simple X application but
even so I am having trouble mapping some of the functions to nano-X.

My current plan is to continue with the 'glue' approach for a while to get a
better idea of what is or isn't possible and then possibly try a 'native'
nano-X version for comparison.

I will make the code available on the web after I get it working a bit better.

George