nanogui: Nano-X API Manual

Subject: Re: Nano-X API Manual
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Mar 2000 18:35:48 -0000

: I will post this tomorrow, because I forgot to put David I. Bell in the author
: list. And I don't want  to make him angry. He wrote most of the stuff. I just
: setup the stuff in a more nice manner (SGML+DocBook) and hope that this will
be
: a good reference for programmers which like to use the nano-X API.

Yes, don't forget David - he singlehandedly created the whole thing
back in 1991.  Even if it did only run on minix.

: Also it would be nice, if you would have a look on it and send me corrections
or
: suggestions. Also I don't know anything about the new font related routines.
Are
: they implemented for the engine, or for the nano-X API too - or both?

The font routines are implemented for the Nano-X api presently, and of
course are implemented in the engine.   I'll provide more details of the
new api's shortly; the api is growing currently because of all the activity.

:
: I can provide this manual SGML, HTML, RTF, formats, not as PDF or PS - these
do
: not work on my Linux Installation - don't know why!

I think html is the way to go, then I and others can update them without special
tools.
It's important to me that whatever docs get created, be kept up, so think
simple.
When a new api element is engineered, the creator would then document it ;-)

: I have a chapter about widget sets. There is just one available (for nano-X
API)
: till now - NanoWidgets. Is that right? Aren't there older widget sets from the
: time of mini-X? It was very hard to find at least mini-X on the web. Is it
: integrale part of minix?

There are no widget sets for mini-X.  The NanoWidget set is basically
going nowhere, although Vidar said he'd update it.  The master plan at this
point is to bring on Gdk/Gtk+ and QT widget sets, as well as the currently
being worked on FLTK C++ widgets.  Using existing api's is better than
creating new ones in most cases, IMHO.

:
: Is David I. Bell working on nano-X too? Or is this stuff just history for him?

Nope.  Only history.  He knows of this list, and may read it.  But we all
appreciate his seminal work.