nanogui: Scalable font support ...

Subject: Re: Scalable font support ...
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Mar 2000 20:42:24 -0000

: >Anyway, I'd like you to check out the t1demo.sh program, which
: >displays many different fonts and sizes using FreeType.  The problem is,
: >that the program gets _really_ slow after about 30 seconds, and it appears
: >that the process begins swapping, so we have a huge memory leak, IMO.
: >I tried to debug it, but couldn't find anything.  Can you?
:
: I had similar issues when I worked on the Type 1 support via T1lib. It turned
: out that even stopping caching of glyphs wasn't enough, since T1lib create
: separate font structures for each size used (which was particularly bad since
: my test program scaled the font by multiplying the previous used size by 1.01
: :-) and store misc. metrics data for each size, unless you explicitly deleted
: the sizes you didn't need anymore.

I have tested the t1lib stuff that I rewrote, and it doesn't seem to have the
memory leaks that FreeType is showing.  Overall, I'm fairly happy with the
t1lib stuff (I haven't benchmarked either for their actual memory usage, I'm
just trying to get the stuff to run reliably)

Basically, there's now a create_font and unload_font entry point
in the font rendering subsystem.  The font's are loaded for as long
as the application that called GrCreateFont wants until GrUnloadFont
is called. All "application data" from the font rendering libraries is contained
in a Microwindows data structure.  However, I have no idea how or
about how much data is cached unseen from the applications program
by the libraries.

Vidar - thanks for posting; I'm anxious for your comments on the fonts
implementation.