nanogui: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced

Subject: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2000 16:49:14 -0000

: Is there a reason that gtkhtml wasn't used?
:
: Brief pokings around suggest to me that it's a little bit
: lighter.
:
: Of course, gtk+ would probably be harder to wrap than Qt.

GTK+/GDK is absolutely huge, so it wasn't considered for very
long for the embedded solution. (~2.5MB RAM usage for widget set)

Also, the GTK+ folks have not been very responsive nor interested
in working with the Microwindows project, and we wanted to have
a browser that could run on a much smaller windowing environment
than X Windows, when desired.  FLTK is already small, and much
easier to convert.  However, FLTK's lower level design is quite
kludgy, and would vastly benefit from having a "GDK-like" layer.

Finally, we didn't really want to wrap stuff, but it was deemed better
that we didn't fork the kfm code and rewrite it, and so the wrapper
approach won out.

So essentially, we're not really forking code here.  It would be nice if
the KDE2 project allowed just the widget code to be used, kind of
like a library.  In this way, just as we have done with kfm, no code
forking or changes have to be made to the HTML widget.

ps:  Those interested in the browser development should probably
join the viewml-devel mailing list at www.viewml.com so that we can
keep these discussions off these other lists, since it's possibly off-topic.