nanogui: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced

Subject: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced
From: ####@####.#### (Jim Gettys)
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:09:47 -0000

> Sender: ####@####.####
> From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:50:52 -0600
> To: "Matthew Kirkwood" ####@####.####
>         "Alan Cox" ####@####.####
> Cc: "Roberto Alsina" ####@####.#### ####@####.####
>         ####@####.#### ####@####.####
>         ####@####.####
> Subject: [linuxce-devel] Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser
> introduced
> -----
> : Is there a reason that gtkhtml wasn't used?
> :
> : Brief pokings around suggest to me that it's a little bit
> : lighter.
> :
> : Of course, gtk+ would probably be harder to wrap than Qt.
>
> GTK+/GDK is absolutely huge, so it wasn't considered for very
> long for the embedded solution. (~2.5MB RAM usage for widget set)

I have estimates that show GTK+/GDK can be alot smaller from people I
have good reason to believe are likely correct......

From our perspective on an iPAQ, even unmodified, we have enough space
(though I'd certainly like it to also go on a diet.

The X server is 600Kbytes (down from more than 1.5 megabytes); Keith Packard
and I can also without much trouble reduce the size of Xlib by at least
600Kbytes.  Between just those two we will have saved a good fraction of that
2.5MB.

> Also, the GTK+ folks have not been very responsive nor interested
> in working with the Microwindows project, and we wanted to have
> a browser that could run on a much smaller windowing environment
> than X Windows, when desired.  FLTK is already small, and much
> easier to convert.  However, FLTK's lower level design is quite
> kludgy, and would vastly benefit from having a "GDK-like" layer.

They have their hands full with the current raft of things they are trying
to support.

I gather also that recent events are causing alot more interest...

So I expect by using X we can have our cake and eat it too (and not have
to build another window system (thank you, one was enough for me...).
Putting X on a diet turns out to be alot less work.

				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development