nanogui: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced

Subject: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:28:24 -0000

: > GTK+/GDK is absolutely huge, so it wasn't considered for very
: > long for the embedded solution. (~2.5MB RAM usage for widget set)
:
: I have estimates that show GTK+/GDK can be alot smaller from people I
: have good reason to believe are likely correct......
: The X server is 600Kbytes (down from more than 1.5 megabytes); Keith
Packard
: and I can also without much trouble reduce the size of Xlib by at least
: 600Kbytes.  Between just those two we will have saved a good fraction of
that
: 2.5MB.

I wasn't saying that X+GTK=2.5MB, I was saying that GTK=2.5MB

Wow, 600k byte reduction of Xlib?  What are you taking out?

: So I expect by using X we can have our cake and eat it too (and not have
: to build another window system (thank you, one was enough for me...).
: Putting X on a diet turns out to be alot less work.

I applaud the efforts to make X smaller.   The Microwindows window system
development isn't to try to recreate X.  Instead, it's to create a system
that is fundamentally simpler and smaller, that can run on systems where X
cannot.  BTW, does the 600k include support for fonts, or are other X
utilities required?  What is the total size of the minimal system, one that
includes
the X server, as well as all required X11R6/bin/* utilities?  It is my
understanding
that many of these utilities are required on any installation.

However, I think there needs to be discussion on widget sets, regardless of
windowing systems.  I'm interested in a discussion of GTK for either
X or Microwindows.  Can it be made more modular?