nanogui: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced

Subject: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Small open source web browser introduced
From: Keith Packard ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2000 23:32:45 -0000

> Another approach is to start doing stupid but small implementations of little
> used code. X has widelines but afaik X doesnt require _fast_ widelines..

Did I mention that widelines are really slow?  The existing implementation,
except for a bit of exuberant excess by Mark Vojkovich, is about as small
as possible, the trouble is there's just so many ways of drawing lines,
dashing, caps, joins, and all with an exact pixelization requirement that
means each piece must be perfect.  I think the only optimization is to
recognize horizontal/vertical lines and draw them as rectangles instead of
a scanline at a time.

Same for arcs; the implementation solves an 8th order polynomial 3 times
for each scanline using a mixed binary/newton solver.  Then there's the
elliptical integral solver for arc dashes, and another version of the cap/
join code because arc faces aren't mappable to integer bresenhams.

Take a peek at the new rendering proposal, it's a bit shorter in the area
of geometric primitives (having only one).

	http://xfree86.org/~keithp/render/protocol.html

####@####.####		XFree86 Core Team	SuSE, Inc.