nanogui: License issues

Subject: Re: License issues
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 13 Aug 2000 14:12:51 -0000

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Ted Milker wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 08:19:50AM +0100, Alex Holden wrote:
> > We chose to use the MPL with a convert-to-GPL clause over the LGPL because
> > it is better suited to what we want, which is to allow people to freely
> > use the code however they want, as long as they contribute any
> > improvements to our code back to us.
> I don't really see how this is possible if they release their
> code converting to GPL.  Once they do this, you cannot roll back

Nobody's forced to convert anything to GPL. The convert to GPL clause is
there mainly so that if you want to use our code along with something
which is already GPLed (say for instance, if you wanted to take some of
the drawing functions and link them into the Linux kernel), you can do.

> their changes into the MPL/convert-to-GPL license.  The GPL
> prohibits any changes to the license or adding any restrictions
> to the license.  And adding their changes(that are licensed under
> the GPL) back into the code base converts the code base to GPL
> according to the license.

Not if they relicense it. The original author of the code can apply
whatever license they wish. They can't take back the GPLed version of it
they released, but they can rerelease it as MPL with convert to GPL (or
something with even less restrictions such as public domain or X11) if
they want it to be included in the standard Microwindows source release.

--
--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :