nanogui: Re: [linuxce-devel] rzsz working partially on VTech Helio

Subject: RE: [linuxce-devel] rzsz working partially on VTech Helio
From: "Jay Carlson" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:53:01 -0000

CCYau writes:

> Dear folks:
>    The rz sz utility from www.omen.com  was partially working with VTech
Helio with very few modifications.
>    5) the binary file rz and sz can download to Helio. I'm using minicom
to act as serial console to the Helio. On minicom, I can sz any file from
VTech helio with rz in minicom. If I change /mnt on VTech Helio, I can
upload a file from Host minicom to Helio.
>    There is still not reliable and always TIMEOUT, and the transfer speed
was very low.
>    I hopes I can fix these out  so we can have one useful utility on the
VTech Helio development. If anyone has any idea, I will be highly
appreciated.

What version of the kernel are you using?  Last night, I committed two
changes to drivers/char/r39xx_serial.c that should dramatically improve
serial performance.

The first fix should make serial IO work again.  I don't understand how it
could possibly work without it---TX interrupts were being disabled forever.
This may not apply to earlier kernels.

The second reduces the wait between reading the UART from 10 microseconds to
1 microsecond.  If this causes problems on hardware besides the Helio, let
me know.  I'd like to reduce the wait for transmit to 1 microsecond as well.

With these changes, the Helio can successfully receive 2M of data
transmitted using 1K XModem at 115kbps.  Throughput is around 9.1kbytes/sec.
I imagine ZModem will do even better, although the lrzsz package may have
more success than omen.com.

The funny thing is, I can't receive more than ~2.1-2.5M of data without the
transfer stalling out.  I think this *could* be my code having problems, but
there is no obvious reason for it.  Has anyone else seen symptoms like this?

Jay