nanogui: Keyboard events ...

Subject: Re: Keyboard events ...
From: Ritesh Saigal ####@####.####
Date: 27 Oct 2000 23:35:03 -0000

Thanks Greg & Jordan. That certainly helped.

Jordan Crouse wrote:

> Greg will probably go into this in more detail, but I'll give you the
> short and skinny right now so you can at least keep working....
>
> Basically, the X11 keyboard driver for MW does not grab the entire scan
> code for the keystrokes, only the ascii value (lower 8 bits).  So
> essentially we have no way of determining if a special key is pressed.
> This sucks rocks.  Greg will have to go into how he wants to fix this.
>
> If you want to hack in support for a particular key right now (and keep
> in mind that this is a major (I reapeat) major hack), we have discovered
> that most of the "special" keys have the lower 8 bits that map outside
> of the ascii values of the alpha numeric keys (all except for two in
> fact).  So if you look for the lower 8 bits, you will be right 80% of
> the time.  Once again, I stress that this is a hella-hack, I'm not
> proud, and if you tell your friends that I told you, I will deny it.. :)
>
> Below  are the ascii to special key mappings that we have discovered
> (from FLNX).  Notice that sysReg and Insert are missing, as they are the
> two keys that have the lower 8 bits that correspond to a alphanumeric
> value (I think insert maps to a "c").
>
> Hope this helps, and I hope that someone soon will take it upon
> themselves to fix this.
>
> Happy hacking!
> Jordan
>
>   {'\r', FL_Enter},
>   {'\b', FL_BackSpace},
>   {'\t', FL_Tab},
>   { 20 , FL_Scroll_Lock},
>   { 80 , FL_Home},
>   { 81 , FL_Left},
>   { 82 , FL_Up},
>   { 83 , FL_Right},
>   { 84 , FL_Down},
>   { 85 , FL_Page_Up},
>   { 86 , FL_Page_Down},
>   { 87 , FL_End},
>   { 127, FL_Num_Lock},
>   { 141, FL_KP_Enter},
>   { 149, FL_KP+'7'},
>   { 150, FL_KP+'4'},
>   { 151, FL_KP+'8'},
>   { 152, FL_KP+'6'},
>   { 153, FL_KP+'2'},
>   { 154, FL_KP+'9'},
>   { 155, FL_KP+'3'},
>   { 156, FL_KP+'1'},
>   { 157, FL_KP+'5'},
>   { 158, FL_KP+'0'},
>   { 159, FL_KP+'.'},
>   { 170, FL_KP+'*'},
>   { 171, FL_KP+'+'},
>   { 173, FL_KP+'-'},
>   { 175, FL_KP+'/'},
>   { 190, FL_F + 1},
>   { 191, FL_F + 2},
>   { 192, FL_F + 3},
>   { 193, FL_F + 4},
>   { 194, FL_F + 5},
>   { 195, FL_F + 6},
>   { 196, FL_F + 7},
>   { 197, FL_F + 8},
>   { 198, FL_F + 9},
>   { 199, FL_F + 10},
>   { 200, FL_F + 11},
>   { 201, FL_F + 12},
>   { 226, FL_Shift_R},
>   { 225, FL_Shift_L},
> [...]

Meet MbTV and the Metabyte Networks Team at
BROAD BAND WAGON, The Western Show
November 29-December 1, 2000.
Los Angeles Convention Center,
Booth #3001 in the West Hall

Please contact Colleen Jones
by phone at (510) 494-9700 x233
or by email at ####@####.#### to
schedule an appointment during the show.