nanogui: (apparently) strange event loop behaviour

Subject: (apparently) strange event loop behaviour
From: "Darin J. Nelson" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2000 20:14:49 -0000

Hi everybody,

I'm writing a little PDA (iPAQ) app using microwindows (nano-x api) and
I have run into a problem I just cannot figure out.  What I'm doing is
listening for events from the user as well as trying to update a clock
in the same app.  Here's a code frag:

   while(1)
   {
       printf("<EVENT> waiting for event\n");

       GrGetNextEventTimeout(&event, 500L);
//        GrGetNextEvent(&event);
       printf("<EVENT> got event. processing\n");
       switch(event.type)
       {
       case GR_EVENT_TYPE_BUTTON_DOWN:
           fireNXWidgetCallback(event.button.wid, &event);
           break;
       case GR_EVENT_TYPE_BUTTON_UP:
           fireNXWidgetCallback(event.button.wid, &event);
           break;
       case GR_EVENT_TYPE_EXPOSURE:
           fireNXWidgetCallback(event.exposure.wid, &event);
           break;
       case GR_EVENT_TYPE_TIMEOUT:
           updateStatus();
           break;
       case GR_EVENT_TYPE_CLOSE_REQ:
           close_program();
       }
   }

The app is a hack of something called uBill (nanoBill) an xBill clone.
Basically I'm using it as an aide to teach myself microwindows.  Anyway,
you'll see that GrGetNextEvent is commented out because I want to get a
timer event as well.  Problem is that my screens don't seem to update
when using GrGetNextEventTimeout.  Everything else looks right in the
code.  I'm basically using a couple of offscreen windows, and when one
taps/clicks on a tab-like-thingy to change the 'mode', I switch the
exposed window with GrCopyArea.

My question is if there is something happening in the client or server
that I need to know about when I ask for an event/timeout?  The only
sample code I've seen use the timeout routine is clock.c.

Thanks for any help,
darin