nanogui: What Ports Available

Subject: Re: What Ports Available
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2001 15:27:49 -0000

The reply to both is yes.  First of all, Nano-X has a window manager
provided as part of the distribution, check in demos/nanowm for all the
juicy details.  It will handle windowing fairly well, but its not
*completely* full featured "enlightenment"-like window manager (yet).
It is definitely a work in progress, please feel free to add your
improvements and bug fixes.

As far as the toolkit is concerned, you have FLNX (available from
www.viewml.com), which is a C++ based toolkit based on FLTK
(www.fltk.org).  It has a IDE environment provided (fluid).

But as far as I am concerned, the number one priority for the
Microwindows project is now a very good desktop based IDE that we can
use to develop Microwindows programs on the desktop for use in the
device of your choice.  It is my opinion that once we have a good IDE,
then most of the API compatibility concerns will go away.

Amit (of TinyWidgets fame) and I have been discussing writing a GTK+
desktop based IDE for TinyWidgets, which would provide TinyWidgets to
folks without forcing them to use Microwindows on the desktop (this
could also be done for win32, so we could have a microwindows
development environment on a Windoze box.  Wouldn't that be cool???)

If anyone is interested in starting a Microwindows IDE project, or to
help convert the TinyWidgets designer to GTK, please let myself or Amit

Jordan