nanogui: displaying console and "tux" on framebuffer

Subject: Re: displaying console and "tux" on framebuffer
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2001 15:47:00 -0000

Well, there are several issues at play here.  First of all, tell me a little
bit about your system.  Are you using your LCD as your main console, or is it
a secondary device?  Are you running a kernel framebuffer directly on the
LCD?  It is a standard VESA framebuffer, or a home grown variety?

There are several reasons why Tux may not be on your screen, all of which
have to do with the fact that the framebuffer infrastructure is not very
pretty in the 2.2 / 2.4 world (look for something better in 2.5).

First and foremost, Tux is only drawn on the primary framebuffer (or in other
words, the first one registered).  There is no infrastructure to handle
multiple text consoles on multiple display devices, so the code only handles
drawing (and switching) consoles on the first device.  Since tux is drawn as
part of the console startup, he thus only appears on the first device
registered.

Secondly, there may be a color issue.  I have a problem right now where I
have lost Tux during bootup on my Asiliant 69000 framebuffer driver.
However, the framebuffer works fine.  I think it may be a colormap issue, but
I don't have any idea why.  In short, the code that actually draws the little
bugger is convoluted (not by anyones fault, its just that so much has to be
taken into consideration for drawing to 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 bits).

Tell me a little bit more about your setup, and I will see if I can't give
you a hand.

Jordan

On Monday 30 April 2001 09:21, Steven Hein mentioned: