nanogui: Re:Re: a question about flnx on framebuffer

Subject: Re:Re: a question about flnx on framebuffer
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2001 17:32:47 -0000

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> When Microwindows was
> developed, the decision was made to be as generic as possible (so it could be
> run on many different devices with a minimum of effort).  So we used the GPM
> feature of "repeating" the mouse info as PS2 data in the device file
> /dev/gpmdata.  That way, we can handle any mouse as a PS2 mouse in a
> predetermined location.

Actually it was more of a matter of hacking something together in an
evening to get mouse input working. Using GPM to do that seemed a good
idea at the time, but in retrospect I'd like to implement a few simple
native drivers for the most common mouse types as well. That way we can
cleanly support wheel mice and other more-than-three-button types of mice,
allow Nano-X to play nicely on a system that is also running XFree86
(actually, you can already do that if you tell X to use the repeater, but
again that doesn't work for wheel mice), and remove the uglyness of
having two mouse drivers one on top of the other, with one of them
running as a seperate process to the windowing system. If you've ever
tried hacking GPM, you'll know it's not the cleanest of programs either.

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/