nanogui: GTK+ port to nano-X

Subject: Re: GTK+ port to nano-X
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2001 15:58:55 -0000

Yeah, I had issues with the C generator as well.  But I recognize the
difficulty of making a quality C generator, so I understand.

I have mixed feelings about the on the fly generation - I question the
usefulness for applications that never change - It just introduces speed
concerns and requires more storage space.

However, I believe that there are a few areas in the embedded space that
would really benefit from something like this.  Take for example a graphical
TV remote control -- you have new features being added to the TV, DVD,
reciever, etc all the time.  You could distribute the device with an binary
engine that doesn't change over time.  You then offer each new device as a
XML file that describes the appropriate control screen.  When you have new
devices, you can just send a couple of tiny text files to the device instead
of completely reflashing it with a new image.

However, I think this technology should be used sparingly.  I for one hate
the idea of running an XML engine everytime I want to start up a new app,
especially on some of the slower machines.

Jordan

On Thursday 17 May 2001 09:09, Gary James mentioned: