nanogui: Linux newbie : how to install MicroWindows on windows ?

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Linux newbie : how to install MicroWindows on windows ?
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jun 2001 17:14:57 -0000

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Will Windows sockets give you the functionality you need for UNIX sockets, or
> do you need to have some sort of IPC to communicate with the server?

If Win32 supports the BSD sockets API and the loopback device, it
shouldn't be difficult to convert it to use that instead of a named
socket (it'll be slower though, since every packet will have to pass twice
through the TCP/IP stack). I would have thought the screen, mouse, and
keyboard drivers would be the difficult part of a Win32 port of Nano-X.
ISTR Greg saying that a Win32 port of the Microwindows API would be harder
due to the problems caused by trying to provide an emulated Win32 API on
top of the real Win32 API (symbol clashes, etc.).

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/