nanogui: Documentation

Subject: Documentation
From: David Douthitt ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jun 2001 15:26:29 -0000

I enjoy writing docs, and would like to help if it's needed.  One thing
I've noticed in my attempts to find a nice windowing environment is that
there is a real lack of documentation (microwin included).  There are
lots of docs, but just not the one I (and lots of others?) need.

Here are some questions I ask that don't seem to be answered in
documentation anywhere.  I'm writing as a developer (integrator?) of a
tiny floppy-based Linux distribution:

* Will rxvt (and other X programs) work with nano-X?
* Do I have to recompile everything?
* What libraries do I need to run with nano-X programs?
* Do I need special programs to use nano-X?
* Can I just recompile X programs to make them run under nano-X?
* Is nano-X a static library or dynamic library?  Or are both available?
* How much space does it take up?
* How do I configure X programs to use nano-X?
* How does it compare with tinyX?  What are its benefits over tinyX?
* Where are the applications?  Where's the application archive?
* What are the steps for adding nano-X and applications to a
distribution?
* What do I need to run a nano-X application?
* What network ports does it use and what protocols?
* How do I configure nano-X at run-time?

Most of these are "usage" type questions; most of the documentation
seems to assume that the reader is a program developer, not a
distribution integrator, and not a end-user.

Some of these questions I might be able to answer myself now; however, I
can imagine new users asking these questions.

If I missed the documentation that has these questions answered, let me
know.