nanogui: Documentation

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Documentation
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jun 2001 18:04:35 -0000

> If you swap the C library for a small one like dietlibc and/or swap the OS
> for eCos you can take it down a _lot_ smaller. It depends what you need.
> Once the UI gets as small as nanogui native frame buffer mode then libc and
> OS dominate the memory map and become the best sawing pieces off targets

That is so true.   The standard libc is definately the worst culprit there
easily 1.5 - 2MB (even stripped).   dietlibc is a great solution in that
case.

Plus, it was a demo system, so I kept a big chunk of the utilities in the
filesystem, even though they probably won't be needed for a true embedded
solution.  Busybox helps out alot with the required stuff (I am less
impressed with tinylogin, but it has lots of potential).

With devices such as the Ipaq and such, I am not so worried about having a
500 or 600 KB kernel, but eCos is a great solution for even smaller devices
that can't afford that (especially with the memory usage).

This would actually be a really cool contest - given a standard set of
Microwindows apps, see who could produce the smallest package (kernel,
filesystem and apps).

Jordan

On Friday 29 June 2001 11:18, Alan Cox mentioned: