nanogui: nano-x questions

Subject: nano-x questions
From: Stephane Mas ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jan 2002 03:55:06 -0000

Hello,

I am a young and inexperienced developer fooling around with Nano-X, this
there could be some dumb questions here! I am also relatively new to Linux.

I have been trying to fool around with some embedded linux projects. For now
I want to set up the smallest Linux system possible that has some network
capabilities and some basic graphics. Micorwindows seems like the best thing
out there for my application.

Does anyone know of an embedded linux distribution that Nano-x works well
with?

I can get the microwindows and nano-x examples to run on top of X-Windows. I
tried to run Nano-x server from within console mode and it started up and
said something about Stopping (can't remember exact message, but it could
have mentioned tty, but I don't even know what that is).?? I ran a ps -aux
and the nano-x server was running.
I ran the demos that go along with the nano-x server that I tried out before
on nano-x on top of X windows and they started up, but again, nothing
special was showing on the screen. Again ps -aux and everything is running.
I am starting to thing that it is going to some weird output other than the
monitor but I really don't know much about the way linux graphics work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Help a young foolish programmer in
need!!

I am running a Caldera system that could be up to 8 months old. I don't know
if my 2.2.(?) kernel has framebuffers on or even if you have to turn them
on.
I used the config.fb preset config.

thanks,
Stephane