plustek: Suggestions on getting Epson 1250 usb scanner working

Subject: Re: Suggestions on getting Epson 1250 usb scanner working
From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 16 Feb 2002 10:59:39 -0000

On Friday 15 February 2002 11:16 pm, Stealth Dave wrote:
>As the subject says, I'm trying to get my Epson 1250 scanner
> working under Linux.  I was one of those suckers who bought an
> Epson scanner because they are reported to have the best
> support under Linux only to find out that this particular
> scanner is the exception. :P
>
>Anyhow, I've been trying to get the scanner to at least be
> recognized by sane.  I've been able to get sane-find-scanner to
> find the scanner fairly easily, but I have had no luck getting
> scanimage -L to list my scanner at all.  I've tried a patched
> 1.0.6 and the new 1.0.7 release, but so far no luck.  I've
> edited the plustek.conf file to match my system, but scanimage
> still can't find my scanner.  Has anyone else managed to get
> the Epson 1250 working?  Even just getting scanimage to
> acknowledge that I *have* a scanner would be an improvement.

I too have one of these beasts.  One must either setup an alias
in your modules.conf, or add it to the list in the kernels
scanner.h and recompile, which is what I've done over the last
2-3 kernel upgrades.  Unforch, I'm still running 2.4.17 because
its the last one that will both build, and work with iptables.

Once you've done that so that your scanner is findable by
sane-find-scanner (don't forget to fix your
???.sane.d/plustek.conf to point to only the usb stuff too)
then backtrack up the archive of this list and get the entries
for plustek-devs.c that almost work with mine.  The lower
resolutions (600dpi and down) are working fairly well if your usb
hardware is, but leave the lamp on when quitting.  For that you
can cycle its power cord, or rerun it which will re-initialize it
with the lamp off, then quit.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M