plustek: Suggestions on getting Epson 1250 usb scanner working

Subject: Re: Suggestions on getting Epson 1250 usb scanner working
From: Stealth Dave ####@####.####
Date: 16 Feb 2002 12:49:33 -0000

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 02:54, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I too have one of these beasts.  One must either setup an alias
> in your modules.conf, or add it to the list in the kernels
> scanner.h and recompile, which is what I've done over the last
> 2-3 kernel upgrades.  Unforch, I'm still running 2.4.17 because
> its the last one that will both build, and work with iptables.

I'm pretty confident that I have the kernel module set up correctly.  As
I've said, sane-find-scanner finds the scanner with no problems.
However, no sane front-end (i.e. scanimage or xsane) can find it.

> Once you've done that so that your scanner is findable by
> sane-find-scanner (don't forget to fix your
> ???.sane.d/plustek.conf to point to only the usb stuff too)
> then backtrack up the archive of this list and get the entries
> for plustek-devs.c that almost work with mine.  The lower
> resolutions (600dpi and down) are working fairly well if your usb
> hardware is, but leave the lamp on when quitting.  For that you
> can cycle its power cord, or rerun it which will re-initialize it
> with the lamp off, then quit.

I looked back through the archives (oh, for a search feature!), and the
only article that I could come up with for reference was this:

http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:814:200112

It mentions changing the Cap and HW entries for the Epson 1250 from _2
on the end to _5.  Well, the end of the Cap and HW entries in the most
recent patch are _0.  Being fearless, I went ahead and changed them
anyway, and it failed to compile, because the pointer names had changed
(I think; my beginning C class in college was 9 years ago and I never
went further with it).  So I changed the pointer names as well, it
compiled, and same result.  I'm starting to think that I either
misunderstood the instructions, or they no longer apply to the most
recent builds.  Could you take a look at it and shed some light on the
subject for me?

Thanks for your patience,
- Stealth Dave

--
David E. Still                                     phone:818.980.6909
####@####.####                 http://www.stilldesigning.com