plustek: pt_drv loads manually but not on demand

Subject: pt_drv loads manually but not on demand
From: Warren Post ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jun 2002 23:55:02 -0000

After following the newbie howto, my scanner works if and only if I load
the module by hand. Upon boot, lsmod assures me that parport and
parport_pc are loaded:

parport_pc             14384   1
parport                13920   1  [lp parport_pc]

If I now run scanimage -L I am told "No scanners were identified", and
returning to lsmod shows me that running scanimage did not cause pt_drv
to load.

If I now cd to the /plustek_driver directory and make load, everything
works (scanimage -L returns "device `plustek:/dev/pt_drv' is a Plustek
9636T/12000T flatbed scanner", lsmod returns in part "pt_drv 112544 0",
and the scanner works)... until the next reboot. Then I have to load the
module by hand again.

I'm using Mandrake 8.1, kernel 2.4.8-26mdk (I've turned off IEEE 1284),
and a Genius Color Page-Vivid Pro II Film scanner, which apparently is a
relabeled Plustek 9636T. During normal use I will want to plug my laser
printer into the back of the scanner, but for now it is disconnected to
avoid any conflicts. (I have tested it, however, and scanner and printer
work fine together once the module is loaded.) /etc/modules.conf reads
in part:

alias char-major-40 pt_drv
pre-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 forceMode=0 mov=0

The only odd thing about my setup is the BIOS parallel port settings.
The only options available are enabled, disabled, auto, and floppy. Huh?
It doesn't make sense to me, and there is no mention of EPP or anything
else normal. I've tried all settings with the same result.
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes tells me in every case "PCSPP",
which I take to be standard (not EPP) mode.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd really like to avoid having to make install every
time I want to use the scanner.

TIA,
Warren