plustek: HP2x00C and EPSON [was Epson 1250Photo]

Subject: HP2x00C and EPSON [was Epson 1250Photo]
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2002 08:05:04 -0000

On Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2002 11:21, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 July 2002 03:03, Jérôme Martin wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I would like to buy a scanner supported onto Linux/Sane, I think
> > of Epson 1250Photo. But, in the web page, you note 'mostly
> > working', what does it means ? Is the driver operationnal ? Is it
> > a problem image quality ?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ciao
>
> The definition of "mostly" varies and depends on the driver.  Here,
> using the plustek driver, we have all sorts of controls but its
> running basicly "uncalibrated" and has lots of "shading" in the
> output.  Switching to the epson released "iscan" driver, some
> controls are lost but the calibration seems to be spot on, and its
> the driver I'm using here with that scanner.  You can get that from
> the epson site but I don't recall the url at the moment.

Hi there, hi Gene,

well I think I'm currently on a good way to improve the Plustek
backend to make it work with the HP2x00C and the EPSON.
One point is, that the lamp has not been switched off for
these devices prior the dark-shading calibration stuff.
I think I've fixed this in the test version 0.43-1.
I also added support for the EPSON PHOTO: by using the switch
enableTPA in the plustek.conf file, you can enable this feature,
but it'S mnot tested yet and should only affect the lamp switching.
For the TPA, I need the geometrical settings of the scan area...

I'm not sure if my last mails about these issues has reached you,
as my ISP seems to filter out certain sender adresses, but I've
sent out a request to test this version with no response so far...

The other thing I'm currently working on is the motor control.
This ain't no problem so far for the EPSON but for HP and UMAX
devices. The upcomming structure allows a more flexible adjustment
of the clock divider and PWM settings of the stepper motor for each
device and not only for the Plustek scanner.

It would be great, if some of you out there can check the lamp-
switching behaviour esp. for HP and the shading stuff (EPSON)
I know, that the EPSON driver leads into good results but you
may find some time to help me to make it work here too.

That's all so far, thanks for helping to improve this backend
  Gerhard