plustek: unresolved symbols

Subject: Re: Unresolved symbols
From: Zoltan Kovacs ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2002 06:57:02 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2002 12:34, Zoltan Kovacs wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > Hy Gerhard,
> >
> > Thanks for your help. But I have a 7.2 and none of the files you mentioned
> > can be found in the /boot directory. Thus I  copied 'autoconf.h' and
> > 'version.h' from /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux. Well,
> > the RedHat versions are really different from the original ones. The only
> > problem is that I cannot find 'something.config' in /boot directory and I
> > don't know where is the Linux config file which is used in the Makefile
> > to compile pt_drv.o. Neither can I find a variable containing the path of
> > a file  'something.config' in the Makefile so I dont't know where it
> > should be during the compilation. But I tried to compile again.
> > During the compilation I see some warning messages "linux/malloc.h is
> > deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead" but pt_drv.o is, of course,
> > created. Anyway, the installation is still unsuccesful. The problem is the
> > same: Unresolved symbols. The symbols are also the same as formerly.
> > Do you think the problem is a wrong config file?
> >
> > regards
> > Zoltan
> [SNAP]
>
> This all looks to me like a really bad installation :-(
> You might create your own kernel, as the config file will be created
> after you made the kernel-configuration (make menuconfig)...
>
> The warning messages can be ignored, if the really disturb, you can
> use the file plustek_sysdep.h in the include path to fix this...
>
> Maybe there are some other RedHat users out there to give you some
> hints...
>
> Gerhard
>
>  -------------------------
> |gerhard AT gjaeger DOT de|
>  -------------------------

Hy  Gerhard,

Thanks for your help again! After reinstalling my RH 7.1 I could compile
and install pt_drv.o. Then I set my port to EPP (i.e. the file
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes contains PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP), added
the standard text

alias char-major-40 pt_drv
post-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 lOffonEnd=0 port=0x378 mov=0 slowIO=0
forceMode=0

to the file 'modules.conf' and loaded this module.

But a mysterious problem has arisen. When I type 'scanimage -L' no
information appears on the attached scanner. But the kernel messages are
the following:

SMSC Super-IO detection, now testing Ports 2F0, 370 ...
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
pt_drv0: P12 found on port 0x0378
pt_drv0: Lamp-Timer set to 180 seconds.
pt_drv0: WarmUp period set to 15 seconds.
pt_drv0: Lamp untouched on driver unload.

I suppose it means the scanner is detected. Anyway it is not available.
SANE has failed to use it. Anyway, when I run 'scanimage -L' first time
after booting sometimes the lamp of the scanner is turned off or off and
on again. But only the first time. If run  'scanimage -L' again nothing
happens. What could be wrong? Do I set wrong parameters in
modules.conf? Do you have any idea?

Zoltan