plustek: I killed my Epson perfection 1260 photo. Twice.

Subject: Re: I killed my Epson perfection 1260 photo. Twice.
From: Hein-Jan Leliveld ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2002 10:14:06 -0000

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 09:46, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> now that we have some reports on damaged EPSON devices,
> we should try and find out what is common to them except
> that the scanners are dead. Although I cannot believe that
> the plustek-backend has killed them, we should find out what
> happens.
> Here are some points:
> - scanner stopps, backend segfaults:
>   --> what comes first?

I don't know which one came first.

>   --> syslog messages?

Oct 22 01:01:29 koen -- MARK --
Oct 22 01:01:42 koen kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
Oct 22 01:21:29 koen -- MARK --

>   --> scan settings (area, resolution, color-depth)?

I scanned a lot of A4 documents, all with a setting of 200 DPI, with the
'normal' color settings in xsane. And yes, the scanner made pretty loud
noises. I don't know how much noise the scanner makes in other programs,
because I haven't tried them for the epson.

> - scanner does not work anymore:
>   --> what part has been killed (motor, lamp, sensor)?
>
> To be honest, I think that during the development of
> the driver quite a lot of my test-devices had reached some
> states that were not good for the hardware, but they never
> stopped working! I'm not sure if it is possible to kill the motor
> by setting some strange PWM settings - at least the motor
> won't move.

Maybe they've used some cheaper parts in the newer models?

> Anyway, I hope that we can find out what's going on there,
> but I don't believe, that EPSON will ever admit that they have
> problems with a device...

I don't think that either. The shop refunded me after the 2nd broken
scanner; they were out of epsons. Yesterday I bought a canon N676U. It
isn't properly supported in linux yet, but I think (hope) it will
someday.

One strange thing: the scannerlight of the epson never went off if I
scanned with the plustek backend. So if I scanned for 4 hours, the
scanner light was on for four hours. That was the reason I unplugged the
power if I wasn't using the scanner; it seems to me it can't be good for
a scanner to let the light burn all the time.

If I scan in windows with the new canon, the scanner light is off every
time I finish a scan. I just did a test scan with the plustek backend
and the canon, and the plustek backend doesn't switch off the
scanner-light. If I start vuescan after using the plustek backend, the
first thing what happens is that vuescan switches the light off.

Is this a known bug in the plustek backend? Maybe that's the reason the
2 epson's were killed?

Hein-Jan