plustek: I killed my Epson perfection 1260 photo. Twice.

Subject: Re: I killed my Epson perfection 1260 photo. Twice.
From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2002 18:09:35 -0000

On Thursday 24 October 2002 06:10, Hein-Jan Leliveld wrote:
>On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 09:46, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> now that we have some reports on damaged EPSON devices,
>> we should try and find out what is common to them except
>> that the scanners are dead. Although I cannot believe that
>> the plustek-backend has killed them, we should find out what
>> happens.
>> Here are some points:
>> - scanner stopps, backend segfaults:
>>   --> what comes first?
>
>I don't know which one came first.
>
>>   --> syslog messages?
>
>Oct 22 01:01:29 koen -- MARK --
>Oct 22 01:01:42 koen kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
>Oct 22 01:21:29 koen -- MARK --
>
>>   --> scan settings (area, resolution, color-depth)?
>
>I scanned a lot of A4 documents, all with a setting of 200 DPI,
> with the 'normal' color settings in xsane. And yes, the scanner
> made pretty loud noises. I don't know how much noise the scanner
> makes in other programs, because I haven't tried them for the
> epson.
>
>> - scanner does not work anymore:
>>   --> what part has been killed (motor, lamp, sensor)?
>>
>> To be honest, I think that during the development of
>> the driver quite a lot of my test-devices had reached some
>> states that were not good for the hardware, but they never
>> stopped working! I'm not sure if it is possible to kill the
>> motor by setting some strange PWM settings - at least the motor
>> won't move.
>
>Maybe they've used some cheaper parts in the newer models?
>
>> Anyway, I hope that we can find out what's going on there,
>> but I don't believe, that EPSON will ever admit that they have
>> problems with a device...
>
>I don't think that either. The shop refunded me after the 2nd
> broken scanner; they were out of epsons. Yesterday I bought a
> canon N676U. It isn't properly supported in linux yet, but I
> think (hope) it will someday.
>
>One strange thing: the scannerlight of the epson never went off if
> I scanned with the plustek backend. So if I scanned for 4 hours,
> the scanner light was on for four hours. That was the reason I
> unplugged the power if I wasn't using the scanner; it seems to me
> it can't be good for a scanner to let the light burn all the
> time.

IMO it isn't either.  But many of the HP combo units leave it on
full time, IMO a surefire way to ensure it does fail on the lamp
failure schedule, generating a new sale 3 years down the log.

>If I scan in windows with the new canon, the scanner light is off
> every time I finish a scan. I just did a test scan with the
> plustek backend and the canon, and the plustek backend doesn't
> switch off the scanner-light. If I start vuescan after using the
> plustek backend, the first thing what happens is that vuescan
> switches the light off.
>
>Is this a known bug in the plustek backend? Maybe that's the
> reason the 2 epson's were killed?

Do you have the light controls entered into plustek.conf?  If not,
then the plustek will turn it on when run, and forget to turn the
off again.

>From my plustek.conf file:

[usb]
#
# options for the previous USB entry
# switch lamp off after xxx secs, 0 disables the feature
option lampOff 300
# warmup period in seconds, 0 means no warmup
option warmup 30

# 0 means leave lamp-status untouched, not 0 means switch off
# on sane_close
option lOffOnEnd 1

device /dev/usb/scanner0

#
# to define a new device, start with a new section:
# [usb] or [parport]
#
--
Cheers, Gene