plustek: Canon N670U problems-questions

Subject: Canon N670U problems-questions
From: "Craig Cooper" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 2002 15:53:58 -0000

Hello all,

I am having extreme problems getting my Canon N670U (usb) scanner working
with the plustek driver (0.45test4). I have recompiled and
re-maked/installed the Sane 1.09 source with the driver, and followed all
necessary provided instructions, but with zero results. I have even swapped
distros in an attempt to get it running. The saddest part is, I haven't
really made any mistakes that I'm aware of. Following are some questions
that I hope a fellow N670U owner can help me with: I am using Mandrake 9.0
under KDE/X-Windows.

Q1. Is it ok to dump the original /etc/sane.d directory after installing
sane 1.0.9 (using /usr/local/etc/sane.d)??? And what if it magically
reappears?

Q2. Is it ok to dump any scanner .conf files that you will never use?

Q3. Is it possible to get a pre-compiled binary for a particular distro, or
are we stuck with source?

Q4. Is it possible that I compiled Sane incorrectly? I just used ./configure
make and make install?!?

Q5. A silly question...is the vendor and product ID case sensitive. You have
0x220D when my usbview shows 0x220d?

Q6. Will my Swann MultiHub make any difference. The HP930C I have running
through there goes fine?! It is a powered hub.

Q7. Using other drivers (did I do something wrong?) I do get my hub activity
light flashing, but with no result. Will disconnecting/re-connecting  my
scanner help reset any wrong internal parameters?

Q8. The silliest question - setting the scanner up as suggested, do I
completely avoid the system's Add Scanner utilities? Is it hot to trot as
is!?

Q9. How (and where) do you set up the scanner module to load automatically?
and where in /dev should I create the real node for the scanner. There is
/dev, /dev/input, /dev/usb and the list goes on. Anyone?

I am running a tri-boot system on an AMD 2000XP+ with
Win98/XP-Pro/Mandrake9. The scanner (of course) works under the 2 windows
OS's.

Any or all help sent directly to my email (below) would be more appreciated
than you can imagine! thanks to you all in advance.

Craig Cooper