plustek: Canon N670U problems-questions

Subject: Re: Canon N670U problems-questions
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Dec 2002 09:31:51 -0000

Hi Craig,

On Wednesday, 25. December 2002 03:46, Craig Cooper wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having extreme problems getting my Canon N670U (usb) scanner working
> with the plustek driver (0.45test4). I have recompiled and
> re-maked/installed the Sane 1.09 source with the driver, and followed all
> necessary provided instructions, but with zero results. I have even swapped
> distros in an attempt to get it running. The saddest part is, I haven't
> really made any mistakes that I'm aware of. Following are some questions
> that I hope a fellow N670U owner can help me with: I am using Mandrake 9.0
> under KDE/X-Windows.
>
> Q1. Is it ok to dump the original /etc/sane.d directory after installing
> sane 1.0.9 (using /usr/local/etc/sane.d)??? And what if it magically
> reappears?

Yes - but I think here's the mistake - see below...

> Q2. Is it ok to dump any scanner .conf files that you will never use?

Yes

> Q3. Is it possible to get a pre-compiled binary for a particular distro, or
> are we stuck with source?

Currently you're stuck with the source...

> Q4. Is it possible that I compiled Sane incorrectly? I just used
> ./configure make and make install?!?

Yes.

> Q5. A silly question...is the vendor and product ID case sensitive. You
> have 0x220D when my usbview shows 0x220d?

"There are no silly questions, there are only silly answers" - the IDs
are nor case sensitive.

> Q6. Will my Swann MultiHub make any difference. The HP930C I have running
> through there goes fine?! It is a powered hub.

I don't think so.

> Q7. Using other drivers (did I do something wrong?) I do get my hub
> activity light flashing, but with no result. Will
> disconnecting/re-connecting  my scanner help reset any wrong internal
> parameters?

After connecting you should be able to see the device in the
kernel ouput (use dmesg) or via usbview. As the CanoScan
is bus-powered you can be sure that the internal settings
will be reset upon replugging.

> Q8. The silliest question - setting the scanner up as suggested, do I
> completely avoid the system's Add Scanner utilities? Is it hot to trot as
> is!?

What do you mean by systems Add Scanne utilities?

> Q9. How (and where) do you set up the scanner module to load automatically?
> and where in /dev should I create the real node for the scanner. There is
> /dev, /dev/input, /dev/usb and the list goes on. Anyone?

Check you system for any hotplug utilities! In general they can be
configured that way, that the scanner module is loaded
automatically when you plug in the scanner.

> I am running a tri-boot system on an AMD 2000XP+ with
> Win98/XP-Pro/Mandrake9. The scanner (of course) works under the 2 windows
> OS's.
>
> Any or all help sent directly to my email (below) would be more appreciated
> than you can imagine! thanks to you all in advance.

To be honest, I believe that you've a mixed installation with old files
from the Mandrake distro... I suggest that you first of all remove
all old sane-files and the start from the begining.
When you say /usr/local/etc/sane.d reappears magically and you
already had a cfg directory at /etc/ this is the proof that there
are two different versions installed...
Here are some steps to perform:

- remove Mandrake SANE installation (use the rpm tool)
- locate other sane stuff: locate sane
  and remove at least the sane.d and libsane stuff

- download SANE-1.0.9 sources and plustek-0.45test4
- unpack SANE-1.0.9 and plustek-0.45test4

Now the configuration part:
If you are sure, that no sane stuff is left on your box,
then ./configure is the only thing to call...
You might try a "which scanimage"
if this results in something like
/usr/bin/scanimage
then
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
should do the trick and old files will be overwritten...

next steps: make all and as root make install

that's it.

- replug the scanner and check your USB system
- check for loaded scanner module
- check the device nodes for user access

- adopt the plustek.conf file

Hope this helps somewhat
  Gerhard