plustek: Current status

Subject: Current status
From: ####@####.#### (G. Jaeger)
Date: 3 Nov 2000 19:28:27 -0000

Hi List,

I'd like to tell you the current status of our "small"
driver project. (I'd also like to reanimate this list ;-)

Well as Kevin say's sometimes ago, the driver is far
from being perfect, but for quite a lot of us it works
pretty good.

I plan to release version 0.37 as soon as I have
managed to make the OpticPro A3I work.
This version will include some minor bug-fixes as well
as a better I/O interface (thanks Kevin for his numerous
tests). There will also a support for the proc-filesystem
(so you can check the status of the push-buttons of some
devices...)
Also the SANE-backend includes some minor
fixes to make it work with XSANE (thanks Michael -
I'll test your new frontend within the next days...)
Also included is a kind of FAQ which has been started
by Jochen Puchalla (thank you!).

I've now received a NDA from Plustek as well as a
test-device (PT12) so it might be possible to start
the developement for the new models (OpticPro P12/PT12 and maybe P8) -
version 0.40 will support these devices. I hope to finish this work
this year.

There are also two major problems to solve:
-Backtracking on older models
-OpticPro 12000P/96000P trouble in some specific cases
I hope to solve these problems with some help from Plustek.
A lot of the development on these devices is based on code
that is more than three years old and the problems also base
on the really bad designed hardware for these rather old models.

One limiting factor to all of this work is my spare time. I've quite
a lot to do for my company and even my friends (my girl friend too,
of course ;-))) want me to join them on weekends,  going out and so
on...

Anyway, as long as I have enough fun on working at this stuff
I'll do it.
So thanks again to all of you who helped to improve the driver
and to improve the documentation...

Yours
Gerhard