plustek: Re: Plustek 9636P scanner and Suse Linux 7.0 - my experience

Subject: Fwd: Plustek 9636P scanner and Suse Linux 7.0 - my experience
From: ####@####.#### (G. Jaeger)
Date: 13 Nov 2000 18:03:44 -0000

Here's a helpful mail from Bernd:

I own a Plustek Optic Pro 9636P scanner and I would like to share my
experience to get this scanner working with Suse Linux 7.0 (evaluation
version from a German computer magazin), because I met some
difficulties mentioned as questions on the Plustek scanner mailing
list.

First, I downloaded sane-1.0.3 and the latest plustek driver and
extracted both into a separate directory as descibed in the
documentation file. During compilation of the driver I ran into the
error of the missing definition

#define _OVR_PLUSTEK_9636P  4

which I could easily fix with your information from the mailing list.
Afterwards the driver compilation was OK, no problems at all.

A 'make load' resulted into an error that the device was busy, because
I simply did not switch on the power supply of the scanner. With the
scanner's power supply on I had no problems loading the driver.

Nevertheless, a 'scanimage -L' reported no device found, although the
driver was loaded and the scanner's lamp was on. I discovered that sane
version 1.0.2 was installed from the Suse rpm, so I decided to compile
sane-1.0.3 directly. After compilation and installation without errors
a 'scanimage -L' still reported no device found. Simple reason:
sane-1.0.3 installs the scanimage executable into

/usr/local/bin

and the scanimage from Suse sane-1.0.2 rpm still remains in

/usr/X11R6/bin

which comes in the path before /usr/bin/local when typing a command.
Calling the right scanimage worked fine, so I removed the Suse rpm. To
be able to work with the X frontend Xsane, I forced YAST2 to intall the
Xsane 0.57 without installing the dependent sane-1.0.2, which is
automatically marked for installation when you select Xsane. Finally,
everything worked fine.

Hope this helps other people to get their Plustek scanner working with
Suse Linux 7.0.

Best regards,

    Bernd Sasse