plustek: ldconfig makes me not be able to use scanner?

Subject: Re: ldconfig makes me not be able to use scanner?
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jan 2001 07:31:55 -0000

Hi Nathan,

no worries, your /var/log/messages looks good the driver is loaded so what!
If you really have unresolved symbols, you're NOT able to load the driver,
but the driver is loaded!!! The only thing is the line
Jan  4 14:14:13 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81
module char-major-81
is bttv which is the driver of the video for linux project, this indicates, that
you might have a problem with your
sane.d/dll.conf file (this is in /etc or /usr/etc)
find this file and make sure, that only the plustek backend is enabled.
This means, that in front of each entry is a # except in front of the
plustek entry. If there's no plustek entry, insert one.

Well I'm not sure which SANE-version you're using, but it might happen,that
you encounter a version conflict between the driver and the backend.
Please, if you have the problem, that the driver is loaded but SANE
can't find your device, enable the backend debug-messages to see
what happens there:
in the shell say: export SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=12
then call xscanimage or scanimage and the backend will give
you some messages. Send us these messages or have a look at the
FAQ which is attached.

Hope this helps
Gerhard

On Don, 04 Jan 2001, Nathan Stenzel wrote:
> The scanner light is turned on, but the SANE does not find it.
> I think I had some unresolved symbols too, but I think the main problem
> was something to do with some message that popped up about using a
> library module.
> That thing popped up several times when I was compiling either the sane
> frontends or sane backends.
> I forget which.
>
> Here is my /var/log/messages:
>
>      Jan  4 14:13:59 localhost kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378
>      [SPP,PS2]
>      Jan  4 14:14:00 localhost kernel: pt_drv : driver version =
>      0.36-37
>      Jan  4 14:14:01 localhost kernel: pt_drv0: 4800P found on port
>      0x0378
>      Jan  4 14:14:01 localhost kernel: pt_drv0: Lamp-Timer set to
>      180 seconds.
>      Jan  4 14:14:01 localhost kernel: pt_drv0: WarmUp period set
>      to 15 seconds.
>      Jan  4 14:14:01 localhost kernel: pt_drv0: Lamp untouched on
>      driver unload.
>      Jan  4 14:14:13 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
>      module char-major-81
>      Jan  4 14:14:13 localhost last message repeated 2 times
>

> I just did "make install" on the sane backends after a "make clean".
> This is from the "make install" of the sane backends.
>

>      PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -X -n /usr/local/lib/sane
>      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>      Libraries have been installed in:
>         /usr/local/lib/sane
>
>      If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
>
>      in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
>
>      specify the full pathname of the library, or use `-LLIBDIR'
>      flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
>         - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
>           during execution
>         - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
>           during linking
>         - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
>         - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to
>      `/etc/ld.so.conf'
>
>      See any operating system documentation about shared libraries
>      for
>      more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

[Content type text/english not shown. Download]