plustek: Problem with Plustek 4830 P scanner

Subject: Problem with Plustek 4830 P scanner
From: "Alimin Bijosono Oei" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2001 11:42:01 -0000

Hi there,

I am using Red Hat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.3-12 and want to use my Plustek
4830P parallel port scanner. I tried to install SANE backends 1.0.4 and
plustek module 0.39.3 following all the installation steps as described in
README files and any other relevant files that came with the source
packages. I managed to get all the steps done with no error up to 'make
load' where the error appeared.

Below are the steps that I took and the results on screen. Please have a
look:
$tar -zxvf sane-backends-1.0.4.tar.gz

$cd sane-backends-1.0.4

$./configure
no error

$make
no error

$su

$make install

$cd backend

$tar -zxvf plustek-module-0_39_3.tar.gz

$cd plustek_driver

$make

$make install

(i add the recommended lines in /etc/modules.conf
i.e.
alias char-major-40     pt_drv
pre-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 lOffonEnd=0 mov=0 slowIO=1)

$depmod -a

$make load
/sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
sh: modprobe: command not found
modprobe: pre-install pt_drv failed
modprobe: insmod pt_drv failed
make: *** [load] Error 1

if i try to check for scanner,

$scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,check
that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the find-scanner
tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which came with this
software (README, FAQ, manpages).

I also read in the README file in /plustek_driver about the IEEE 1284
support in kernel which can cause some error:
There may be several causes for the following messages from the
frontends:"scanimage: no SANE devices found" or "xscanimage: no devices
available.".

6. Known Bugs and restrictions
------------------------------

- The Halftoning works, but the quality is poor (I need dither maps !)
- The scanned images seem to be too dark (P9636T)
- The 300dpi transparent mode will not work correctly
- The ASIC 96001/3 based models will not work correctly. Under heavy system
load
  it is possible, that the pictures are corrupted.
- Printers (especially HP models) will start to print during scanning
  This in fact is a problem to other printers too, using bidirectional
protocol
  (see www.plustek.com (TAIWAN) page for further details)
- The driver does not support these manic scalings up to 16 times the
physical
  resolution. The only scaling is done on resolutions between the physical
  resolution of the CDD-sensor and the stepper motor i.e. you have a
600x1200dpi
  scanner and you´re scanning using 800dpi, so scaling is necesary, because
the
  sensor only delivers 600dpi but the motor is capable to
  perform 800dpi ´steps´.
- The scan-speed for ASIC96003 based models with 600x1200 dpi resolution is
  slower than under Windoze
- Some devices seems to produce pictures with a bluish teint
- The A3I scan quality is poor
- Connected printers sometimes avoid proper functionality
- The IEEE1248 support of the linux kernel causes some trouble (scanner is
not recognized)

Has anyone ever tried to install Plustek 4830P on a Redhat Linux box
before?Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards,
Alimin