plustek: Problem with Plustek 4830 P scanner

Subject: Re: Problem with Plustek 4830 P scanner
From: "Alimin Bijosono Oei" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2001 08:26:18 -0000

Thanks for the responses from Lauri,Miguel and Gerhard but I still couldn't
get the scanner working.

I did all the steps by being root and I have checked that modprobe is
installed in /sbin directory
[root@localhost /sbin]# dir
agetty        dump          halt                   installkernel
killall5    mkfs.ext2          pam_tally             raidstart  runlevel
tc
arp           dumpe2fs      hdparm                 ip                klogd
     mkfs.minix         pidof                 raidstop   service     telinit
badblocks     e2fsck        hotplug                ipchains          ksyms
     mkfs.msdos         plipconfig            rdump      setpci      tune2fs
blockdev      e2label       hwclock                ipchains-restore
ldconfig    mkinitrd           portmap               reboot     setsysfont
unix_chkpwd
cbq           elvtune       ifcfg                  ipchains-save     lilo
     mkkerneldoth       poweroff              rescuept   sfdisk      update
chkconfig     fdisk         ifconfig               ipfwadm           losetup
     mkpv               ppp-watch             resize2fs  shapecfg    ypbind
clock         fsck          ifdown                 ipfwadm-wrapper   lsmod
     mkraid             pump                  restore    shutdown
consoletype   fsck.ext2     ifenslave              ipmaddr           lspci
     mkswap             pwdb_chkpwd           rmmod      slattach
convertquota  fsck.ext3     ifup                   iptables
mii-tool    modinfo            quotacheck            rmt        sln
ctrlaltdel    fsck.minix    init                   iptables-restore
mingetty    modprobe           quotaoff              route      sndconfig
debugfs       fsck.msdos    initlog                iptables-save
minilogd    mount.smb          quotaon               rpcdebug   sulogin
depmod        fuser         insmod                 iptunnel
mkbootdisk  mount.smbfs        raid0run              rpc.lockd  swapoff
devfsd        genksyms      insmod_ksymoops_clean  kallsyms          mkdosfs
     nash               raidhotadd            rpc.statd  swapon
dhcpcd        genksyms.old  insmod.static          kbdrate           mke2fs
     netreport          raidhotgenerateerror  rrestore   sysctl
dosfsck       getkey        install-info           kernelversion     mkfs
     pam_console_apply  raidhotremove         rtmon      syslogd

[root@localhost plustek_driver]# make load
/sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
sh: modprobe: command not found
modprobe: pre-install pt_drv failed
modprobe: insmod pt_drv failed
make: *** [load] Error 1

I tried to disconnect my printer and reboot the system and then did
/sbin/lsmod and the parport modules are already preinstalled as in
/etc/modules.conf. I then did the 'make load' again but still the same error
occured.

I tried to do /sbin/insmod pt_drv:
[root@localhost plustek_driver]# /sbin/insmod pt_drv
Using /lib/modules/2.4.3-12/misc/pt_drv.o

[root@localhost /sbin]# ./lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sr_mod                 13568   0  (autoclean)
ppp_deflate            41376   1  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6064   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            16656   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate ppp_async]
lt_serial              20512   3  (autoclean)
lt_modem              314560   0  (autoclean) [lt_serial]
pt_drv                 99488   0  (unused)
emu10k1                43728   1  (autoclean)
soundcore               3600   4  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
parport_pc             17552   1  (autoclean)
parport                24512   1  (autoclean) [pt_drv parport_pc]
autofs                  9152   1  (autoclean)
ipchains               29536   0  (unused)
ide-scsi                7712   0
scsi_mod               86656   2  [sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 26656   0
cdrom                  27968   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
nls_iso8859-1           2880   2  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4384   2  (autoclean)
vfat                    9008   2  (autoclean)
fat                    30592   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
usb-uhci               20208   0  (unused)
usbcore                48352   1  [usb-uhci]

The pt_drv module was there already, but strange enough when I tried to scan
for the scanner device, I got this:
[root@localhost plustek_driver]# scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,check
that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which
came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
[root@localhost plustek_driver]# scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found

At this point, I was pretty hopeless already. Does this have something to do
with the IEEE 1284 support in the kernel configuration that came with Redhat
7.1 which causes problem the scanner is not detected?

Thanks heaps.

Regards,
Alimin