plustek: kernel-module version mismatch and unresolved symbols

Subject: kernel-module version mismatch and unresolved symbols
From: Martin Obermeier ####@####.####
Date: 9 Sep 2001 19:20:45 -0000

Hi to all,

some people seem to have problems compiling the plustek kernel module with
precompiled kernels as used for example in the SuSE distribution.

I think the problem is that the kernel configuration accessible through
/usr/src/linux or /lib/modules/(kernel-version)/build (e.g. SuSE 7.2)  is
either not in there at all or not the same as the kernel you are using.

To compile now the plustek kernel module you need /usr/src/linux or
/lib/modules/(kernel-version)/build to point to the right kernel sources (
the kernel you are actually using)  and the right configuration for the
kernel in this directory.

Under SuSE 7.2 you can reach this by installing the kernel sources in the
group Development and simply typing

make mrproper (to get all cleaned up ;-) )

make cloneconfig

in your /usr/src/linux directory. This sets up the kernel sources like the
kernel you are using and builds all the needed links.

I don't know how you can set up your kernel-sources in other distributions,
but you can look in your manuals , the mailing-lists and the
support-databases of your distributors.

Good luck

Martin

To Gerhard Jeager:

The Plustek driver is really great !  I'm using it with a SuSE 2.4.7-64GB-SMP
kernel on a ABIT BP6 and all is working fine. Thank you.