plustek: sane-find-scanner does not find my UT12

Subject: Re: sane-find-scanner does not find my UT12
From: John Mellor ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2002 12:32:47 -0000

Thanks Gerhard. I investigated carefully and it seems that my original
Plustek driver was not installed, so I ended up with the parallel port
one contained within sane itself. Although I then edited the .conf file
there must have been something else that needed changing. I uninstalled
everything, reinstalled the rpm containing the Plustek patch and all was
well. A bonus was that everything must have been put in a better place
because root in a terminal can now call up sane-find-scanner and
scanimage without needing the full path as it did before.
	Scanimage still failed to find the scanner but I discovered this was
because the scanner was at /dev/usbscanner and scanimage was looking at
/dev/usb/scanner. I put a symlink from one to the other and all now
works fine, except that if I reboot or put the machine to sleep
something is lost and I have to do: "modprobe scanner" for scanimage to
find it again. I think a modification to the /etc/modules.conf file will
put this right although I an still researching quite how. Would you know
offhand?. The scanning works without a hitch. Thank you; my wife no
longer has to irritate me by rebooting to Windows for a scan!