plustek: adding support for additional lm983x based scanners

Subject: Re: adding support for additional lm983x based scanners
From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2002 11:53:41 -0000

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 11:51 pm, Allan N. Hessenflow wrote:

[...]

>Assuming this isn't some artifact of the calibration generating
> very bad curves, it sounds like the Epson 1250U must have its
> CCD hooked up to the lm9832 in the same way as the Umax 3420.
> I'm getting results just like that.  I intend to start
> recording the actual register settings and raw image data,
> during calibration and scanning, in the hopes that I'll get
> some idea what is going on, but haven't had time to do that
> just yet.  I was really hoping someone on this list would have
> run into this and actually tracked it down before, but it
> doesn't look like it...

With the lamp coming on so late, I thought it might be that, but
it leaves the lamp on, and the next scan gives identcal results...

>> It also doesn't shut the lamp off at quitting time, and only
>> turns it on about 2 or 3 seconds before it moves out of what I
>> assume is the calibrate position, many seconds after clicking
>> the scan start button.
>
>I can't think of anything that would change at that time that
> might activate the lamp.  Assuming the lamp is on one of the
> misc io pins, you might try searching through the code for all
> of the accesses to the misc io control registers to see if it
> looks like any of them might change state around that time.
> Or, you might try just changing the initial state of any of the
> misc io pins that are outputs (in plustek-devs.c) to see if one
> of those changes causes the lamp to turn on immediately when
> you start a sane client.

Probably, but I'm having a hard time getting this old farts brain
wrapped around the flow chart of this software.  I've not yet hit
that point where the lamp over my head comes on :-)

>> Are there any good linux tools to take one of these things
>> apart and make readable .ini or .txt files out of whatever
>> compression format billies children are using this week?  It
>> sure seems to me there ought to be some clues somewhere in
>> that 50 megs of freebie stuff.
>
>The .ini file should certainly have some useful information in
> it, but it probably won't give any clues about the image data -
> I haven't seen anything helpful in the .ini file for the Umax.
> There actually may be one clue - the ini file shows some
> strange values for the lampb control, that if I understand them
> correctly are causing it to pulse for a fairly short time near
> the beginning of every line.  I think I've duplicated that in
> the plustek driver, but it hasn't helped.  Maybe those
> parameters only apply to a different scanning mode than I'm
> actually trying.  What would probably help would be to find a
> windows machine to try it on and logging the usb transactions
> while getting a scan started, but that's not something I can
> conveniently setup (and wouldn't know what to use on Windows to
> do that sort of logging anyway).

Unforch, the .ini files must be part of a .cab file, so it only
shows up after an install has been done because the closest is an
.inf on that cd.  Thats why I was trying to get it to run under
wine, at which point I would have let it install itself on my
one, lonesome dos(vfat) partition.  No such luck, but then I have
never claimed to be a windows admin, not in my wildest dreams....

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M