gnupic: Thread: gpsim development

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: gpsim development
From: ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2000 00:28:00 -0000

> The
> communication sequence is thus: I have an idea, express that to my
> browser, my browser converts it xml, the program with which I'm
> communicating reads the xml, runs it through a parser, and finally
> recieves the idea. XML is an unnecessary step in this scenario - you could
> go straight from the browser to the machine.

Correct as far as it goes. XML is an open standard, though, and is not going to
change from under you, thus forcing you to upgrade your expensive software (the
Microsoft business model). The other thing about XML is that it allows you to
extract or use just part of your document and to use it in another form. Anyway,
as far as using it for configuration information goes, I'm all for it if a
majority of other software packages are using it. I have no preferences,
otherwise.

Mal Goris
CSC Australia
Ph: 02 9901 1324    Fax: 02 9901 1555    Email: ####@####.####