gnupic: Thread: Hello to list

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Hello to list
From: Mike Crowe ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2001 15:10:59 -0000

Hello
My name is Mike Crowe.  I am an electrical eng. who needs to get this
asmbler to work for the PIC16C745.  In particular, I need to compile
some asm code provided by microchip to work with the USB interface.  I
have several questions before diving in and modifing gasm code;

How big is this list, and should diff files be posted directly to that
list?
Is work being done to support the PIC16C745 by anyone else?

Typically what needs to be done to add a new processor? (add processor
type into proccesor.c and .....)

Is there a  document indicating what needs to be done to make this a
MASM complient asmbler?
I ask last question because the code I would like to compile has things
like "export" and "pagesel" in it that the latest cvs version of the
asmbler seems to choke on.  I don't know if its because the processor
isn't supported yet, or if the asmbler is non-complient.

Thanks for helping me to get started, I've always wanted to dig through
the guts of an asmbler.
Mike

> How big is this list, and should diff files be posted directly to that
> list?

Over 300 members, and it depends on how large they are. If you try to send
a message larger than 30000 bytes (including attachments and headers) it
will be rejected.

> My name is Mike Crowe.  I am an electrical eng. who needs to get this
> asmbler to work for the PIC16C745.  In particular, I need to compile
> some asm code provided by microchip to work with the USB interface.  I
> have several questions before diving in and modifing gasm code;
>
> How big is this list, and should diff files be posted directly to that
> list?
> Is work being done to support the PIC16C745 by anyone else?

Send the diff to me. Email works ####@####.#### or attach them
to a new Feature Request.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gpasm/

> Typically what needs to be done to add a new processor? (add processor
> type into proccesor.c and .....)

In this case, as in most, the instruction set is already defined.  So
the only thing to do is to add the new processor to the lists.

grep XXXPRO *

in the gpasm subdirectory.

> Is there a  document indicating what needs to be done to make this a
> MASM complient asmbler?

We have three sources of data, MPASM, the MPASM user's manual, and a
very large set of test files provided by Microchip.  I keep a rough list
of things to do.

The level of compliance is a difficult question.  Currently, we are
passing ~470 of 500 test files from Microchip.  This measure can be
misleading, but it is as good as any.

> I ask last question because the code I would like to compile has things
> like "export" and "pagesel" in it that the latest cvs version of the
> asmbler seems to choke on.  I don't know if its because the processor
> isn't supported yet, or if the asmbler is non-complient.

These commands are used in relocatable file generation (object files).
gpasm does not yet generate object files, so it isn't implemented.

The object file support will happen, but it will be some time.  I have
placed fixing bugs with the current features at a higher priority than
adding new features.

> Thanks for helping me to get started, I've always wanted to dig through
> the guts of an asmbler.

Have fun.  Let me know if you need anything.