gnupic: Thread: 16F628

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: 16F628
From: Alessandro Zummo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jul 2002 11:08:10 -0000

 Hello,

 i'm going to target a PIC16F627/628 device. I'm glad i can use SDCC
 with it and i'm now searching for a '628 programmer with Linux support..

 Anyone can help?

--

  - alex.

Subject: Re: 16F628
From: ####@####.#### (Byron A Jeff)
Date: 6 Jul 2002 12:20:32 -0000

>  Hello,
>
>  i'm going to target a PIC16F627/628 device. I'm glad i can use SDCC
>  with it and i'm now searching for a '628 programmer with Linux support..
>
>  Anyone can help?

Well if you want a quick, cheap solution take a look at my Trivial Low Voltage
Programmer (TLVP): http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys

As its name implies it programs parts in Low Voltage Programming mode. This
means that you lose an I/O pin. But since the 16F628 allows you to get back
up to 3 extra pins for I/O (MCLR, OSC1, and OSC2) it may be a compromise you
can live with.

BAJ
>> i'm going to target a PIC16F627/628 device. I'm glad i can use SDCC
>> with it and i'm now searching for a '628 programmer with Linux support..

>> Anyone can help?

> Well if you want a quick, cheap solution take a look at my Trivial Low
> Voltage Programmer (TLVP): http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys

> As its name implies it programs parts in Low Voltage Programming mode.
> This means that you lose an I/O pin. But since the 16F628 allows you to
> get back up to 3 extra pins for I/O (MCLR, OSC1, and OSC2) it may be a
> compromise you can live with.

Do you have any suggestion for a proper
ICSP support on the target circuit?

I'd also like to allow on-field upgrades using a PalmOS device.. probably
a serial port based programmer would better suit my needs or maybe
i can develop a springboard modue with intergrated TLVP ;)

Thank you.

--

  - alex.

>> i'm going to target a PIC16F627/628 device. I'm glad i can use SDCC
>> with it and i'm now searching for a '628 programmer with Linux support..

>> Anyone can help?

> Well if you want a quick, cheap solution take a look at my Trivial Low
> Voltage Programmer (TLVP): http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys

> As its name implies it programs parts in Low Voltage Programming mode.
> This means that you lose an I/O pin. But since the 16F628 allows you to
> get back up to 3 extra pins for I/O (MCLR, OSC1, and OSC2) it may be a
> compromise you can live with.

Do you have any suggestion for a proper
ICSP support on the target circuit?

I'd also like to allow on-field upgrades using a PalmOS device.. probably
a serial port based programmer would better suit my needs or maybe
i can develop a springboard modue with intergrated TLVP ;)

Thank you.

--

  - alex.

Nice and simple hardware which works with Low Voltage Programming in
Dos or Linux.

The software has been updated since I downloaded it (I'm using .3b which
works well, haven't tried .3d yet).

Simon Wood

> I can recommend:
> 	http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/
>
> Nice and simple hardware which works with Low Voltage Programming in
> Dos or Linux.

Well thanks for the plug!! I really appreciate it.

> The software has been updated since I downloaded it (I'm using .3b which
> works well, haven't tried .3d yet).

Please test it if you get a chance. the 2.3c and 2.3d versions are fairly
substantial updated.
The major additions include:

* Automatic detection of the inserted part. I have both 18 and 40 pin sockets
on my prototype, and the software can pick out from the product ID location
(0x2006) the proper part.

* Proper memory size and algorithm configuration. The original 2.2 version was
hardcoded for the 16F84 memory sizes. Since I was using only 16F877 and 16F876
parts (same memory size BTW)  I recoded the sizes to those parts. But now that
I've added the 16F628 to the stable, I realized that it was time to generalize
the the memory configuration. BTW it's automatically coupled to the part
detection, so you don't have to set the memory size by hand.

* Configuration bit identification. I got tired of not knowing what config
bits were set. Again the original was hardcoded to the 16F84. I added a
config bit ID interface where you can specify the bit name, mask, patterns,
the names for each pattern, along with their screen location and length.
In short all of the bits are properly ID's on the screen. It's nice to see
'CLOCK: INTRC   MCLR: INT' on my 16F628 part for example...

* The 2.3d version added 2.4 kernel parport support. It's currently untested
because I'm still running 2.2 kernel machines. Hey if it ain't broke, why try
to fix it! ;-)

I plan to jump the version number to 2.4 once we've (that means you folks too!
;-) shaken the bugs out and added the following functionality.

* get the data EEPROM programming algorithms going correctly.

* Transfer the per specific config information to a file so that new parts can
be added without recompiling. I alreay laid the groundwork by parsing the
config bit ID's as a single string instead of individual elements. It shouldn't
take too long to read the format from a file.

* autoconf it so that a standard './configure ; make ; make install' does it
all.

I appreciate the vote of support. I'm glad that someone finds the project
useful.

BAJ