gnupic: Thread: newbie+pic (advices)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: newbie+pic (advices)
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jan 2003 13:05:27 -0000

Hi all , happy new year .
what does a newbie in PICs have to do if he wants to program a PIC under
linux .

My guess is :
1°)getting and installing gpasm , coding with it and saving to a file .
2°) byuing a PIC programer
3°) COmpiling the saved code( what with ? ), then puttting into the PIC
via tha pic-programmer ( what with ?)
Am i right ?
is it ok for all pic devices ?
Is the Pic" assembler" langage hard to learn ? what's its name ?  Is
there any tutorial to learn it ?
Well i wont anoy you anymore , i just wait for some answers and if i
pass through , anyway i'll write a web page describing how to begin to
program PIC under linux .

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 12:57, somebody wrote
> Hi all , happy new year .
> what does a newbie in PICs have to do if he wants to program a PIC
> under linux .
>
> My guess is :
> 1°)getting and installing gpasm , coding with it and saving to a file
> . 2°) byuing a PIC programer
> 3°) COmpiling the saved code( what with ? ), then puttting into the
> PIC via tha pic-programmer ( what with ?)
> Am i right ?
> is it ok for all pic devices ?
> Is the Pic" assembler" langage hard to learn ? what's its name ?  Is
> there any tutorial to learn it ?
> Well i wont anoy you anymore , i just wait for some answers and if i
> pass through , anyway i'll write a web page describing how to begin
> to program PIC under linux .
No.

1. Write assembler or C with vi, or your favourtite text editor. Print
the datasheet of the pic you are using - all 200 pages of it, and the
assembler instructions are there

2. Use gputils to assemble it into machine code. (gpasm, gpdasm, etc).
It takes a .asm file as input and outputs .hex, .lst, .cod, and .hex
files

3. Buy or build a programmer and they can all be talked to in linux

4. Simulate it with sdcc

You seriously need to read up on the web instead of asking mailing
lists if you are going to do this.

	Declan Moriarty