gnupic: Thread: pulling my hair out

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: pulling my hair out
From: Lars Goldschlager ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2003 03:30:23 -0000

Hi all... I am finally pulling my hair out, I do not
know what else to do but I haven't been able to
program a single pic.... I am unsure whethever my
problem is purely software based or if I am suffering
of some hardware based variables on my troubles...

Basically I have an El Cheapo programmer, that
included in a pretty good pic book I purchased... my
problem seems to be software... why? because as root
I've tried using both picprg 2.3.0 (original) and the
patched picprg2.3d version... neither works when
trying to test the configuration in the configuration
screen (I know most of the pinout is ok, for example I
am testing with  16 for Vpp control... but it just
doesn't changes.) I can even try for you if you wish
to stick the DMM into the parallel port and measure
the levels for the pinouts..... I also tested the
follogin configuration in prog84:

port parallel
# for parallel port base one of : (0x3bc, 0x378,
0x278)
base = 0x378
loop=15

power=   !autolf
mclr=    init
vpp2=    error
data=    strobe
data_f=  strobe
clock=   d2

I've tried every imaginable configuration of using
power, mclr and/or vpp2 inverted or uninverted (or
even without vpp2) to no avail I ge the very tipical
(it seems) reaction of dumping all FFs and not beign
able to program.. also I've tested without any parts
on the programmer and even when I use dump84 Vpp stays
high (13.5V) all the time which would make seem it has
some troubles handling the port itself..... could
someone help me pretty please?

Some data:
Parts tested: Numerous 16C84-04p I have lying
around... I have a fresh mint 16F627 but I haven't
used it I am very scared of frying it before having
everything workign properly... should I stop worrying
and try the 627 with picprg or prog84???

Kernel: 2.4.20, running inside a debian sid distro
that works beautyfully every other aspect....

Any ideas then? please? btw after readign some readme
for picprg2.3c (not the version I am using) I looked
and I do not have /proc/parport  I have tried loading
combinations of both lp and parport modules to no
avail, but then the parport0 IS listed on
/proc/ioports

(twice, 0378-037a and 037b-037f) if I run picprg as
normal user so I can get an error back picprg 2.3.0
reports it can't access 0x37b and picprg2.3d reports
it can't access 0x379, prog84 doesn't says anything of
use because the non-root rejection is hardcoded into
the program....

Please... :) I hope you can give me a hand...

P.s. anybody else uses the El Cheapo? both the 7812
and the resistor after it get really hot in little
time, the Vpp remains stable (meanign the 7812 is not
reachign the emergency shut off temperature) but they
both worry me still.. I am planning on bathing the
stuff on thermal paste and afixing some kind of heat
sink... anybody got some good/bad experiences on this??

=====
A dragon         ((    ))
lights your  ///\ (o<>o) /\\\